ⓘ Stephen Palmquist
Stephen R Palmquist is a Kantian philosopher in the Department of Religion and Philosophy at Hong Kong Baptist University. His over 200 publications, that include works translated into at least twelve different languages, include over 110 refereed articles and book chapters A Patheos article referred to him as "one of the greatest living interpreters of Kant".
1. Education and Career
Palmquist did his PhD in Philosophical Theology at Oxford University under the supervision of John Macquarrie and W.H. Walsh in August 1987. The next month he joined as faculty at Hong Kong Baptist University. He played an important role in compiling e-text versions of the various writings of Immanuel Kant. He founded" Kant on the Web”, an award-winning website in 1995. The staff profile page describes that his website "was selected as Web site of the month’ by Point of Life 11/03, offered the reputable Study Web Excellence Award’ 6/99, given a Special Mention Award’ by the Churches.com organization 7/98, placed on a list of web sites specially recommended by the Britannica Internet Guide 5/98, won Majon Web Select’s prestigious seal of excellence award’ 6/97, and selected as Top 1% of the Web’ by 21st Century Renaissance 6/96."
In 2020, Palmquist received the HKBU Presidents Award for Outstanding Performance in Scholarly Work.
2. Hong Kong Philosophy Cafe
Palmquist founded the Hong Kong Philosophy Cafe in 1999 which currently has autonomous branches running concurrently in Hong Kong. In a 2012 interview on Academic Foresights, he said that the Cafe had a mailing list of over 700. Talks and discussions at the Cafe address contemporary metaphysical, political, and economical issues that attract popular media attention
3. Hong Kong Kant Society
Palmquist founded the Hong Kong Kant Society in 2015. The Society is an affiliated group of the American Philosophical Association and organizes symposiums, conferences, and various events in Hong Kong related to Kantian studies.
4. Major Publications
- Kant on Intuition: Western and Asian Perspectives on Transcendental Idealism Routledge, 2019. ISBN 978-0-429-49177-1
- Kant and the New Philosophy of Religion, co-edited with Chris L. Firestone Bloomington: Indiana University Press, January 2006
- Kant’s System of Perspectives: An architectonic interpretation of the Critical philosophy
- Kant’s Critical Religion: Volume Two of Kant’s System of Perspectives London: Ashgate Publishing Company, 2000
- Cultivating Personhood: Kant and Asian Philosophy, edited Proceedings of the Kant in Asia international conference Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2010
- Kant and mysticism: Critique as the experience of baring all in reasons light 2019. ISBN 9781793604651
Users also searched:
stephen palmquist, indiana university bloomington faculty. stephen palmquist,
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →