Trets is a commune in the Bouches-du-Rhone department of the Provence-Alpes-Cotes d’Azur region in the southeast of France. With a population of over 10.000, it is one of 44 communes in the Aix-en-Provence arrondissement or district. It is often described as a medieval town because of its development during the Middle Ages of European history and retention of medieval architecture.
Trets is situated in the Upper Valley of the Arc river, between painter Paul Cezannes beloved Montagne Sainte-Victoire 11 km to the north and the Aurelien hills Monts Aureliens to the east, at the foot of Mount Olympus to the south.
2. Population and history
Archeological evidence suggests that the first inhabitants of the area, of Chasseen culture, lived on the summit of Mount Olympus around 4000 BC, during the Neolithic period.
The founding site of Trets has been described variously as a Greek colony or an" ancient Roman settlement.” By some accounts Trets was originally named Trittia or Tritea by the Phocean settlers of Massalia, in homage to the daughter of the Greek god Triton.
In the later years of the Roman conquest of Provence, Gaius Marius defeated the Teutons and Ambrones" at a spot between Saint-Maximin and Trets.”
The first historical account identifying the populace now known as Trets appears in 950 AD, when the king of Burgundy and Provence Conrad the Peaceful transferred hereditary rule over the lands of the Upper Valley of the Arc as a fisc to the first Seigneur or Lord of Trets. A succession of lords ruled until the French Revolution of 1789.
Romanesque, and gothic buildings and vaulted passageways of the medieval period line the narrow, winding streets of the town. The center of Trets was surrounded the ramparts and its 8 towers 4 left, for defense against successive invasions over the centuries. A 2200 sqm garden along the town walls Jardins des Remparts was opened in 2011.
Several gates porte were opened in the city walls. The rectangular Gate of Pourrieres and its preserved machicolations were built in the 14th century. It served as the main gateway access into town. On the East side of city, the Gate Saint-Jean also known as the Gate of Amont 14th provides uptown access and was used to store munitions. On the North end stood the Gate of Clastre 14th, the Porte Neuve and the Gate of Puyloubier, all destroyed by the mid-19th century.
Now the grounds of the Edmond Brun elementary school, a hospital named Hopital Saint Jacques was established circa 1300 near the church of the same patronage and later transferred, in 1794, to the Observantins convent.
The low, vaulted passageway called Le Trou de Madame Lion gave access to the wall-walk. It is thought to have been either a way of confining any epidemic outbreak to the grounds of the hospital or a way of defending against mounted attacks.
To the southeast is the feudal castle Chateau des Remparts with its staircase in dimension stone with a ramp from the 17th century, French-style painted ceilings and a baroque chimney. Its construction started in the late 12th or the early 13th century. In June 2013 a number of renovations were completed, with a modern performance space in the courtyard.
The classified 14th-century Church of Our Lady of Nazareth was built upon a 4th-century priory of the Roman-Provençal style with an open vaulted arch, gothic chapels, and a massive unfinished tower. Its massive altarpiece 1693 was executed by the native Christophe Veyrier in stucco and marble.
La Chapelle Saint-Jean-du-Puy, a former 5th-century hermitage, features a Romanesque apse, garden sanctuary and 18th-century watch tower that is an observatory overlooking the town and the Valley of the Arc. It was rebuilt with the addition of two Gallo-Roman columns.
The 14th-century papal Studium of Trets put forth what may have been the only record of its kind in the Vatican archives of that time, a register of the local economy detailing the material life of schoolchildren and their teachers.
The Hotel de la Vallee de l’Arc, at the center of town, was an 18th-century relay post.
Henri Raybaud executed the War memorial on the townhall square depicting an "angel of victory".
4. Cultural encounters and traditions
The influence of both Greek and Roman cultures is said to have led to the cultivation of wine and wheat. After the Romans came the Goths, the Merovingians, the Carlovingians and the Saracens; then, after a period of viscounts of Marseille, Trets came under local papal governance through the diocese of Aix, according to the papal bull of Urban II in 1088.
Holidays and festivals reflect historical encounters and traditions, including:
- August Les Medievales de Trets celebrate the occasion of The Good King Rene welcoming his nephew Louis XI of France, with period events and dress.
- July La Fête de la Saint Eloi, patron saint of goldsmiths and blacksmiths since 659 AD, celebrates Provençal culture, language and arts.
- May/June La Fête de Saint Jean has been observed since 1793.
While the Jews were expelled from France in 1182, local governance permitted construction of a synagogue in a manor on the present-day street called Rue Paul Bert. A surrounding Jewish quarter was established by local edict in the early 14th century.
In 2000, sister city exchanges were established with Aghavnadzor, Armenia.
4.1. Cultural encounters and traditions Notable people
- Urbain Dubois, born in Trets on 26 May 1818, died in Nice on 14 March 1901, chef to the King of Prussia from 1860 to 1870. He published several recipe books and is credited with the invention of the Veal Orloff.
- Raimbaud de Reillanne, archbishop of Arles.
- Raymond de Gaufredi, son of the lord Burgondion de Trets and Mabile dAgoult, minister general of the Order of Friars Minor from 1289 to 1295.
- Christophe Veyrier, born in Trets on 26 January 1637, died in Toulon on 10 June 1689 sculptor, nephew and follower of Pierre Puget.
- Jean-Jacques Clerion, born in Trets on 16 April 1637, died in Paris on 28 August 1714 sculptor for Louis XIV of France.
- Bertrand Bezaudun, archbishop of Genova from 1349 to 1358.
- Tret Tret Murree, settlement in Punjab, Pakistan. Tret a village in Fondo municipality, Trentino province, Italy Trets settlement in France Tret often
- The canton of Trets is an administrative division of the Bouches - du - Rhone department, in southeastern France. At the French canton reorganisation which
- Jaufre Reforzat de Trets Latin: Gaufridus Reforciatus fl. 1213 1237 known as Jaufrezet, was the Viscount of Marseille, seigneur of Trets and Forcalquier
- Tret is a village and union council of Murree Tehsil in the Rawalpindi District of Punjab, Pakistan. It is located in the south of the tehsil at 33 49 60 N
- Tret Fure born March 18, 1951 is an American singer - songwriter, prominent in the women s music and folk music scene. The musical career of Tret Fure
- 39.17444 N 46.77222 E 39.17444 46.77222 Uçuncu Ağalı also, Agaly Tret ye and Ashaga Agaly is a village in the Zangilan Rayon of Azerbaijan. Uçuncu
- 58167 N 47.22333 E 39.58167 47.22333 Uçuncu Mahmudlu also, Makhmudlu Tret ye is a village in the Fizuli Rayon of Azerbaijan. Uçuncu Mahmudlu at GEOnet
- Marseille - 12 Martigues Pelissanne Salon - de - Provence - 1 Salon - de - Provence - 2 Trets Vitrolles Decret n 2014 - 271 du 27 fevrier 2014 portant delimitation des
- 39.633 N 47.717 E 39.633 47.717 Shakhsevan Tretye also, Shakhsevan Tret ye is a village in the Beylagan Rayon of Azerbaijan. Shakhsevan Tretye at
- 2014. Auriol War memorial Retrieved 14 May 2014. Trets war memorial Retrieved 14 May 2014. Trets War memorial 2 Retrieved 14 May 2014. Aubagne war
- Salon - de - Provence 13103 Senas 13105 Simiane - Collongue 13107 Le Tholonet 13109 Trets 13110 Vauvenargues 13111 Velaux 13112 Venelles 13113 Ventabren 13114
- 48 53 E 40.250 N 48.883 E 40.250 48.883 Pashaly Treti also, Pashaly Tret i, Orta Pashaly, and Pashaly Tretiy is a village in the Hajigabul Rayon
- also Romanized as Dsorashen formerly, Yerord Karakilisa and Karakilisa Tret ya is a village in the Shirak Province of Armenia. Population per years
- mainly for King Louis XIV. Clerion was born in either Aix - en - Provence or Trets For much of his career he worked on the Chateau de Versailles, including
- through: Saint - Amour, Jura Lajoux Culoz Grenoble Saillans, Drome Monieux Trets Rocbaron Port Grimaud GR Long Hiking Trails GR - INFOS. Retrieved 2009 - 11 - 24
- The Tretya River Russian: Третья речка, also spelt alternatively as Tret ya or Tretaya is a stream in the Beringovsky District of Chukotka Autonomous
- Resources Defense Council Oganesyan Yu.Ts. Tret yakov Yu.P. M inov A.S. Demin A.G. A.A. Pleve A.A. Tret yakova S.P. Plotko V.M. Ivanov M.P. Danilov
- Kettwiesel Hase Pino Kettwiesel train Trike race A recumbent two - wheeled Trets trailer bike on the back of a tandem Maurice Shad 2002 - 04 - 13 Bicycles:
- sculptor, the nephew and follower of Pierre Puget. Veyrier was born in Trets Bouches - du - Rhone, France. He arrived in Genoa in 1663 and stayed for a
- of troubadours, and husband of Beatrice, daughter of Jaufre Reforzat de Trets Isnart held land in Agoult, Ponteves, and Entrevennes, from which he took
- their people 60 years ago. Tucker refuses, but invites their leader, Tret aboard. Tret explains that the original inhabitants of the planet, the Loque eque
- Guigues VII of Viennois Alfonso II, Count of Provence Jaufre Reforzat de Trets Geoffrey II of Provence Ladislaus of Naples Marguerite of Provence Louis
- Prasat ប រ ស ទ Prey Chan ព រ ច ន Preav ព រ វ Seila Khmaer ស ល ខ ម រ Snuol Tret ស ន លទ រ ត Thnal Bat ថ នល បត Tumnob Dach ទ នប ដ ច Yeang Dangkum យ ងដង គ
- is located in the south of the tehsil and is bounded to the north - west by Tret to the north by Numbal and Mussiari, to the north - east by Ban and to the
- with those of Aix - en - Provence, Saint - Maximin, Lambesc, Pertuis, Istres, Trets and Lanson, was permitted to have a synagogue and a cemetery on paying
- attachment as alternative to seatpost attachment A recumbent two - wheeled Trets trailer bike by Hase on the back of a tandem A complete child s bike converted
- Sausset - les - Pins Senas Septemes - les - Vallons Simiane - Collongue Le Tholonet Trets Vauvenargues Velaux Venelles Ventabren Vernegues Vitrolles Decret n 2015 - 1085
- poble a poble, comarca a comarca, de Paco Gonzalez Ramirez, d on se n ha tret informacio amb el seu consentiment. Institut Valencià d Estadistica. Portal
- Junction with the A8 Service Area: Peypin de Baume de Marron 33 Pas de Trets Towns served: La Bouilladisse Exchange A52 - A520 Junction with A520 spur
- 2015 Estadi Comunal d Andorra la Vella Referee: Robert Gonzalez Salvado Tret de sortida del play - off per l ascens i de la Copa Federacio 2014 Federacio
Users also searched:
Trets, trets, communes of bouches-du-rhone. trets,
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →