Топ-100 ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 139

ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 139



                                               

Maple Lane, Indiana

Maple Lane is an unincorporated community in Clay Township, St. Joseph County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. The community is part of the South Bend–Mishawaka IN-MI, Metropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Maple Valley, Indiana

Maple Valley was originally called Elizabeth City, and under the latter was laid out and platted in 1838. When a post office was established in 1878, it was discovered that there was another post office called Elizabeth City in Indiana, and so th ...

                                               

Maples, Indiana

A post office was established at Maples in 1854, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1921. The community was named for Lewis S. Maples, a lumber baron.

                                               

Mardenis, Indiana

Mardenis was named for William Mardenis, a railroad agent. A post office was established at Mardenis in 1884, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1904.

                                               

Mariah Hill, Indiana

Mariah Hill was originally called Maria Hilf, and under the latter name was laid out in 1860. The towns original German name was devoted to Maria, Hilfe der Christen Mary Help of Christians. The name Maria Hilf was altered and anglicized by posta ...

                                               

Marineland Gardens, Indiana

                                               

Marion Heights, Indiana

Marion Heights is an unincorporated community in northern Sugar Creek Township, Vigo County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is part of the Terre Haute metropolitan area.

                                               

Marion, Shelby County, Indiana

Marion was platted in 1820. The community was named for Francis Marion, an army officer during the American Revolutionary War, A post office opened at Marion in 1823. The post office was later renamed Noah and was discontinued in 1902. Marion onc ...

                                               

Markles, Indiana

Markles is an unincorporated community in southern Otter Creek Township, Vigo County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. Within the boundaries of Terre Haute, it is also part of the Terre Haute metropolitan area. The town is home to Markles Cemetery.

                                               

Marrs Center, Indiana

                                               

Marshtown, Indiana

                                               

Martin Heights, Indiana

Martin Heights is an unincorporated community in Washington Township, Washington County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is located within the city limits of Salem.

                                               

Martin, Indiana

                                               

Marysville, Pike County, Indiana

                                               

Maxville, Spencer County, Indiana

                                               

Maxwell, Indiana

Maxwell was laid out and platted in 1881, and was named for a man who worked on building the railroad to the town. The Maxwell post office was established in 1882.

                                               

Maysville, Indiana

                                               

McCol Place, Indiana

McCol Place is an unincorporated community in Washington Township, Washington County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is located within the city limits of Salem.

                                               

McCoysburg, Indiana

                                               

McDaniel, Indiana

                                               

McGary, Indiana

                                               

McKinley, Indiana

A post office was established at McKinley in 1891, and remained in operation until 1934. The community was likely named after president William McKinley.

                                               

McNatts, Indiana

                                               

Meadow Shores Park, Indiana

                                               

Mechanicsburg, Boone County, Indiana

Mechanicsburg is located at 40°09′35″N 86°28′52″W. The town straddles Sugar Creek, where Indiana State Road 39 crosses the stream. About two thirds of the residences, and the towns only church, are south of the stream. There was a second bridge o ...

                                               

Mechanicsburg, Henry County, Indiana

Mechanicsburg was laid out and platted in 1858. A relatively high number of settlers employed as mechanics caused the name to be selected. The post office in Mechanicsburg was discontinued in 1907.

                                               

Mechanicsville, Indiana

Mechanicsville is an unincorporated community in Center Township, Vanderburgh County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is located within the city limits of Evansville.

                                               

Meltzer, Indiana

A post office was established at Meltzer in 1880, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1905. The community has the name of a family of settlers.

                                               

Mentor, Indiana

Mentor was founded in 1881 by Francis M. Sanders. Sanders, an admirer of President James A. Garfield, named the settlement for Garfields hometown of Mentor, Ohio. An old variant name of the community was called Altoga. A post office ran with this ...

                                               

Merriam, Indiana

A post office was established at Merriam in 1853, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1907. According to Ronald L. Baker, the name may honor Mason M. Merriam or a member of his family. Mason M. Merriam operated a local store in ...

                                               

Messick, Indiana

Messick was founded in 1882 when the railroad was extended to that point. A man named Messick owned a general store in town. A post office was established in Messick in 1884, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1926.

                                               

Metz, Indiana

In 1836, Fayette Barron was the first settler at the crossroads that would become Metz. The village of Metz reached its heyday during the late 19th and early 20th century. By 1885, the village had two dry goods and several other retail shops, a s ...

                                               

Middletown, Shelby County, Indiana

                                               

Midway Corners, Indiana

                                               

Midway, Elkhart County, Indiana

                                               

Midway, Spencer County, Indiana

                                               

Milan Center, Indiana

                                               

Milford Junction, Indiana

                                               

Mill Creek, Indiana

Mill Creek is an unincorporated community in northern Lincoln Township, LaPorte County, Indiana, United States. It lies along CR875E, east of the city of La Porte, the county seat of LaPorte County. Although Mill Creek is unincorporated, it has a ...

                                               

Millersburg, Hamilton County, Indiana

Millersburg is an unincorporated community in Jackson Township, Hamilton County, Indiana. The community was named for Peter Miller, a pioneer settler.

                                               

Millersburg, Warrick County, Indiana

Millersburg was laid out in 1850, and so named for the fact two mills stood near the site, one of which was owned by Phillip Miller. Millersburgs post office opened under the name Canal. This post office was established in 1851, and remained in o ...

                                               

Millersport, Indiana

                                               

Millgrove, Indiana

Millgrove is an unincorporated community in Jackson Township, Blackford County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. Nearly all of the communitys businesses have been closed for many years. Although the Blackford County Historical Society lists this com ...

                                               

Millport, Indiana

                                               

Milo, Indiana

Milo was never properly laid out or platted. A post office called Milo was established in 1881, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1923. Milo M. Sharp was an early postmaster. Milo was a station and shipping point on the Clove ...

                                               

Mineral Springs, Indiana

                                               

Mongo, Indiana

Mongo was originally called Mongoquinong, and under the latter name was laid out in 1840. Mongoquinong was later shortened to Mongo. Although An Illustrated Historical Atlas of LaGrange County, Indiana 1874 translates the native name as "Big Squa ...

                                               

Monitor, Indiana

The towns original name was Cynthyana. A post office was established at Monitor in 1864, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1902. The former Monitor schoolhouse was used as a drug addiction treatment facility until 2007. In 20 ...

                                               

Monmouth, Indiana

A post office was established at Monmouth in 1839, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1904. The community was named after Monmouth County, New Jersey.

                                               

Monoquet, Indiana

Monoquet was founded in 1844. It was named for Monoquet, an Indian chief. A post office was established at Monoquet in 1844, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1851.

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation