Топ-100 ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 134

ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 134



                                               

Aberdeen, Ohio County, Indiana

The first settlement at Aberdeen was made in about 1814. It was named after Aberdeen, in Scotland. A post office was established at Aberdeen in 1852, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1880.

                                               

Aboite, Indiana

Aboite was originally settled as a train stop at the intersection of the Toledo, Wabash & Western Railway with Aboite Road. The communitys name is derived from the French word for "minnow". A post office was established at Aboite in 1833, and rem ...

                                               

Ade, Indiana

Ade was laid out as a town in 1906. It was named for George Ade, an American writer, newspaper columnist, and playwright, who was born in nearby Kentland and died in nearby Brook. A post office was established at Ade in 1904, and remained in oper ...

                                               

Adyeville, Indiana

A post office was established at Adyeville in 1862, and remained in operation until 1966. Andrew J. Adye, the first postmaster, gave the community his name. Adyeville was platted in 1873.

                                               

Africa, Indiana

                                               

Ainsworth, Indiana

Ainsworth was an unincorporated community in Ross Township, Lake County, Indiana. The Grand Trunk Railroad was extended to Ainsworth in 1880. In the early 1990s the area containing Ainsworth was annexed by the city of Hobart. A failed attempt to ...

                                               

Aix, Indiana

A post office was established at Aix in 1892, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1909. The community was likely named after Aix-en-Provence, in France.

                                               

Albion, Scott County, Indiana

                                               

Aldine, Indiana

                                               

Alford, Indiana

                                               

Algiers, Indiana

Algiers was laid out in 1868. The community was named after Algiers, the capital of Algeria. An old variant name of the community was called Delectible. A post office called Algiers was established in 1885, and remained in operation until it was ...

                                               

Alida, Indiana

Alida had its start at the junction of the Baltimore and Ohio and Louisville, New Albany and Corydon Railroads. Alida contained a post office from 1876 until 1932.

                                               

Allendale, Indiana

Allendale is an unincorporated community in south central Vigo County, Indiana, in Honey Creek Township. It is part of the Terre Haute Metropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Alta, Indiana

Alta is located half a mile west of the Wabash River and about half a mile south of the town of Hillsdale, around the intersection of county roads 775 South and 400 East. A north-south CSX railroad line runs just east of Alta.

                                               

Alvarado, Indiana

A post office was established at Alvarado in 1855, and remained in operation until 1904. An old variant name of the community was called Richland Center. In 1849, the Alvarado United Methodist Church was built, and is still in service today.

                                               

America, Indiana

America is an unincorporated community in Liberty Township, Wabash County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is located just east of the nearby town of La Fontaine.

                                               

Ames, Indiana

Ames is an unincorporated community in Union Township, Montgomery County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is located within the city limits of Crawfordsville.

                                               

Apalona, Indiana

                                               

Arcola, Indiana

Arcola is an unincorporated community in Lake Township, Allen County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. Once a booming train station for farm products and a regional U.S. postal center in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, in more recent years i ...

                                               

Arda, Indiana

                                               

Ardmore, Indiana

                                               

Ari, Indiana

                                               

Armiesburg, Indiana

When General William Henry Harrison took an army from Vincennes to the Battle of Tippecanoe in late 1811, Zachariah Cicott served as a scout. Cicott was familiar with the area because of his time trading up and down the Wabash River, starting cir ...

                                               

Armstrong, Indiana

                                               

Arrowhead Park, Indiana

                                               

Arthur, Indiana

Arthur or Arthur Junction due to its location at the junction of Indiana 61 and Indiana 64, is an unincorporated community in Patoka Township, Pike County, in the U.S. state of Indiana.

                                               

Artic, Indiana

                                               

Ash Iron Springs, Indiana

Ash Iron Springs derives its name from James Ash, a farmer who settled there in the mid-19th century. The waters of the nearby spring were locally said to have medicinal qualities.

                                               

Ashby Yards, Indiana

                                               

Ashland, Indiana

Ashland was originally called Mullens Station. The town was officially renamed Ashland, likely after the city of Ashland, Ohio, in the 1850s. A post office was established as Ashland in 1848, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in ...

                                               

Asphaltum, Indiana

Asphaltum was platted by B. F. Rouse in 1901 at the peak of an oil boom in the area. An oil refinery was built by the American Lubricating and Refining Company and operated for a short time. The oil wells which led to the towns creation were fed ...

                                               

Athens, Indiana

Athens is an unincorporated community hamlet in Henry Township, Fulton County, Indiana, originally called Hoover Station. The towns name is pronounced with a long a and stress on the first syllable. A post office established as Grant, on December ...

                                               

Atherton, Indiana

Atherton is an unincorporated community in northern Otter Creek Township, Vigo County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is part of the Terre Haute metropolitan area.

                                               

Auburn Junction, Indiana

Auburn Junction was at the junction of three railroads near Auburn, hence the name. At Auburn Junction, the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the Eel River Railroad, and the Fort Wayne, Jackson & Saginaw Railroad all met at grade. The only thing that re ...

                                               

Augusta, Indiana

The first permanent settlement at Augusta was made in the 1860s. A post office was established at Augusta in 1874, and remained in operation until 1920.

                                               

Aylesworth, Porter County, Indiana

                                               

Ayrshire, Indiana

A post office was established at Ayrshire in 1886, and remained in operation until 1917. The community probably took its name from Ayrshire, in Scotland.

                                               

Babcock, Indiana

                                               

Baileys Corner, Indiana

                                               

Bainter Town, Indiana

                                               

Bakers Corner, Indiana

A post office was established at Bakers Corner in 1873, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1900. Members of the Baker family served as early postmasters.

                                               

Bakertown, Indiana

                                               

Baldwin Heights, Indiana

                                               

Balhinch, Indiana

Balhinch is two-mile-square unincorporated community in Union Township, Montgomery County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. Balhinch includes Rattlesnake Canyon and Weir Cemetery.

                                               

Bandon, Indiana

                                               

Banquo, Indiana

                                               

Barbee, Indiana

                                               

Barnard, Indiana

Barnard was originally called Fort Red, and under the latter name was laid out in 1876. The present name is for Calvin Barnard, the original owner of the town site. A post office was established at Fort Red in 1876, the name was changed to Barnar ...

                                               

Barnhart Town, Indiana

Barnhart Town is an unincorporated community in Sugar Creek Township, Vigo County, in the U.S. state of Indiana. It is part of the Terre Haute metropolitan area.

                                               

Barrett, Indiana

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation